Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Piece



Malcolm
You sat there with your picture
Crude drawing

Young boy
I thought I could save you

with words

We were worlds apart 

when you showed me what you prized
You with your lone illustration

All shared vacation dreams

Some wanted to take music
others, only family

An ice breaker

A classroom assignment

Just share your things

What would you take on vacation

What would you pack

if you might never come back

I asked if it was a gun

You said No

that ain't no gun

It's my Glock

We locked eyes - in my confusion

I remember


You would just take your gun
I asked 

My Glock - you corrected

No laughter from others
They knew you
I nodded and let it be

Malcolm 

You were the hardest of them all
I thought I could save you with my words

I heard from a friend
It went badly for you

Malcolm, I thought I could save you with words

4 comments:

  1. Oops! My comment landed in the response box below. Sorry.
    Here it is again:

    Wow! This is brilliant! I like the internal rhyme and what the poem has to say about lost innocence and the struggle to reach the ones losing it. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kat,

    Thank you so very much for your kind input on my poem. I just found your blog and have thoroughly enjoyed the imagery you capture in your poems. I guess I love poems that tell a story. Malcolm was a real boy that needed much more than my words. I felt I had to capture this experience.

    Best regards,
    H.H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know you, but you must be a kind and sensitive soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely write...sad but true and inspiring...because we want to save all the children but we can't. Thank you for trying to inspire him with your words.

    ReplyDelete